The Labrador Retriever is a medium-sized, sturdy-looking dog that is sandy, chocolate or black in color. Very popular with families, he often delights children for whom he is a great playmate.
His jovial and friendly expression contributes greatly to his success.
The Labrador is one of the favorite dogs of the youngest.
a Labrador Retriever is an English dog whose ancestors were brought back from Newfoundland as early as 1814. The ancestor of the Labrador would be the « St John’s Dog », a variant smaller than the Newfoundland which developed in Canada .
dog of Saint-John helped fishermen to go in search of fish.
This is why the Labrador deserves the name of Retriever.
He reports everything. In 1814, he would thus have conquered England.
selection would have started in 1822 when this dog of Newfoundland receives the name of Labrador by the count of Malmesbury.
He landed in France at the very end of the 19th century.
Since then, he has been one of the favorite dogs of French families.
- hair: short, thick, without undulation.
- It is weatherproof.
- color: the dress is entirely yellow (sand), black or brown (chocolate).
- The sable Labrador takes several weeks to obtain its final color unlike the black Labrador.
- a chocolate Labrador has long been snubbed in France.
- However, this aspect is increasingly appreciated.
- Its head: round with a straight muzzle. The skull and nose are broad, but the cheeks are not thick.
- ears: attached back and of medium size, they fall on the sides of the head.
- His eyes: medium in size, are brown or hazelnut in color.
- Its body: has a horizontal line on the top.
- chest is broad and well built just like the loin which remains short and strong.
- tail: imposing at the base, it tapers towards the end.
- She should not bend over her back.
Behavior and character
- Sweet, faithful, intelligent and playful, the Labrador Retriever is the ideal companion for everyone.
- It is also one of the most common dog breeds in the world.
- Good goalkeeper, he is not too fearful. Particularly patient and docile, he is fantastic as a guide dog for the blind.
- Attentive, ardent and determined, he is greatly appreciated by rescuers
- Puppies can be very rambunctious. Nevertheless, the Labrador Retriever is good at learning.
- He will become a pleasant dog to live with if you firmly teach him the elementary rules of behavior necessary
- The education of the Labrador Retriever must mainly take place through play.
- You must also not hesitate to reward him for his good deeds.
- He is quite receptive and affectionate.
The Labrador Retriever can adapt to an urban environment, even if it is more made for the countryside.
He is very welcoming and loves company.
Loneliness can quickly weigh on him. So much so that it will turn into a bulldozer if you don’t give it the attention
The Labrador Retriever is prone to obesity, regular exercise and a balanced diet are essential.
This will minimize joint problems like hip or elbow dysplasia. Certain eye problems
also common: retinal dysplasia, cataracts and retinal atrophy.
Torsion or gastric swelling are elements that the master must imperatively monitor.
A swollen belly left untreated can prove fatal for the Labrador.
Maintenance and hygiene
- The maintenance of the Labrador is not very restrictive.
- Only brushing during moulting periods (spring and autumn) takes a lot of time.
- During the moulting period, where the Labrador Retriever sheds a lot of hair, use a wire brush.
- Regarding his claws, he must be able to regularly use them on hard ground.
- Shorten them, if necessary, using special pliers.
- Nails containing blood vessels, it is recommended to seek advice from the veterinarian if you are a novice.
- 2 baths per year are sufficient.
- In the Labrador Retriever, the major fragility is at the level of the ears.
- They must be monitored and cleaned regularly with a product recommended by your veterinarian. Otherwise
- Nothing should be inserted into the ear canal.
- As for the teeth, they should be brushed regularly to avoid the accumulation of tartar
To read more on wikipedia
or mor Dog on jimitv